I love making these cake-like Italian cookies with Anise during the holidays. They bring back fond memories of baking in the kitchen with my mother when I was a little girl. These cookies taste good frosted or plain and what’s even better is dipping them in coffee! Enjoy!
Ingredients For The Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar ( I like sugar in the raw)
- 3/4 cup applesauce or 3 large eggs (if you want no eggs in your cookies use 1/4 cup applesauce per egg)
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of non-dairy milk (rice dream, almond dream, soy milk) or you can use regular milk
Ingredients For The Icing
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons non dairy milk or regular milk
- 1/8 teaspoon anise extract
Directions For Cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the applesauce 1/4 cup at a time, or the eggs one at a time, mixing after each and last add the anise extract.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and baking powder.
- Add 1/3 at a time of the dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture.
- Mix and then add 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and 1 tablespoon of milk – mix.
- Add the remaining dry mixture and milk , mix until the dough is soft like drop cookie dough.
- If needed add more flour.
- Use a cookie scooper to make simple round drop cookies. Or a spoon.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, do not allow to brown, so the insides will be soft and cake like.
- Use a toothpick to check.
- Remove and allow to cool.
Directions For The Icing
- Mix sugar, milk beverage and Anise extract to make a sugar glaze.
- When cookie is cool enough spread the icing on top.
- Allow the icing to harden on the cookies and then store in air-tight containers or freeze.
- Hint…they taste good frozen!
I love dipping these cookies in coffee!