I love making this bread because it is so moist and delicious plus it is a great snack to take along in my lunchbox for those days I want something sweet. Add additional fresh fruit to the slice of banana bread to give it that extra yumminess. I use applesauce to replace the egg, soy milk to replace buttermik and vegan margarine to replace butter. You can add nuts or chocolate chips to the bread. This recipe can also be used to make muffins.
- 1 cup sugar in the raw .
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 loaf pan
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Lightly grease loaf pan.
- Mix sugar and margarine in a large bowl.
- Stir in applesauce, add bananas, soy milk and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the chopped nuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and cover loosely with foil.
- Go ahead, lick the bowl, because no raw eggs were used!
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, if a toothpick comes out clean it is done.
- Cool completely and then slice to serve.
- Top with bananas or berries.
- Refrigerate and eat in the next couple of days, or freeze for later.
Here in the Kitchen we love baking our own bread. Nothing like fresh baked bread in the morning, a hot cup of coffee and some good conversation. For lunch we like to make our favorite sandwich with the bread and in the evening have it with a bowl of soup or a huge salad. The Italian in me likes to dip the bread in olive oil! Below is our basic bread recipe. You can shape your bread into any form you desire such as round, french loaf, or square.
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups flour level with knife
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
In a large mixing bowl add 1 cup warm water, dissolve the yeast and sugar
Let stand 5 minutes.
Stir in oil.
Add to the yeast mixture the 3 cups of flour and salt.
Stir until a soft dough ball forms. Add a spoonful of flour as needed if the dough is too sticky.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic.
Continue to spoon flour to the dough ball to prevent dough from sticking.
Place dough in a large bowl coated with olive oil, cover and place in a warm spot for about an hour.
Punch down dough and knead once more.
On a large baking sheet sprinkle cornmeal
Shape dough and place dough on baking sheet, cover and let rise for an hour, or until doubled in size.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bread is slightly browned on bottom. Let cool on wire rack.
Now that it is really cold outside, why not warm up the house by baking some bread. Boule, which is one my favorites, is a round loaf of crusty bread. It goes great with soups, salads and pasta. Try dipping it in olive oil or slather on some butter. For breakfast, slice it thin, and toast it, then add some butter and/or some Jam. Below is a simple recipe I have used for years and once you get the hang of it you just might make it weekly! Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups white flour level with knife
- 1 cup wheat flour level with knife
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl add 1 cup warm water, dissolve the yeast and sugar
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in oil.
- Add to the yeast mixture, 1 cup of the wheat,
- 1 cup of the white flour and salt
- Stir until a soft dough forms. Add a spoonful of flour as needed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Continue to spoon remaining flour to the dough ball to prevent dough from sticking.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with olive oil, cover and place in a warm spot for about an hour.
- Punch down dough and knead once more.
- On a large baking sheet sprinkle cornmeal
- Place dough on sheet, cover, let rise for an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Make two slits with sharp knife
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom. Let cool on wire rack.