I was raised Italian American and one of my favorite dishes besides pasta, lasagna, and pizza is Polenta! Here is one of my favorite Polenta Dishes called Toad In The Hole made with eggs and vegetarian sausage. This is a great meal for breakfast or anytime!
Questa sera faccio una polenta, vi aspetto tutti.
Tonight I’m cooking polenta, I’ll be waiting for you.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Over medium heat, bring 2 and 1/2 cups of broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl whisk the cornmeal into remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of broth.
- Whisk the cornmeal mixture into the saucepan and return to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in the butter
- Reduce the heat to low – simmer and whisk often
- Continue until polenta is thick and creamy.
- Use a damp spoon or ladle to transfer polenta to a square baking dish.
- Let cool until firm.
Toad In The Hole
- Cook veggie sausage in a non stick skillet with a drizzle of olive oil
- Remove from heat set aside
- Cut Cold Polenta into 3 inch squares, then cut 3 inch circles out of the center using a glass
- Add drizzle olive oil to the pan and set on medium heat, fry the squares and circles until golden on the bottom.
- Flip and crack an egg into each hole, cover and cook until the whites are set, serve with veggie sausage.