Wondering what to do with leftover rice? Make your own Chinese take out!
Garlic Fried Rice with peas, carrots, tofu and egg! Omit the egg if you are vegan.
- Left over rice about 2-3 cups
- 1 cup cubed firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh carrots
- 1 egg
In a large wok or frying pan
- Heat 1 tbsp olive or canola oil on low
- Saute the cubed tofu until slightly brown add more oil if needed.
- add the garlic and chopped carrots and sauté with the tofu.
- push the garlic, carrots and tofu to the side and add 1 egg to scramble
- Add the rice, and mix to distribute ingredients.
- Cook until the rice is warm and if needed add 1 tbsp. water
- Add the soy sauce
- Add the frozen peas
- Stir the rice and veggies to mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm.
I was raised Italian American and one of my favorite dishes besides pasta, lasagna, and pizza is Polenta! Here is one of my favorite Polenta Dishes called Toad In The Hole made with eggs and vegetarian sausage. This is a great meal for breakfast or anytime!
Questa sera faccio una polenta, vi aspetto tutti.
Tonight I’m cooking polenta, I’ll be waiting for you.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Over medium heat, bring 2 and 1/2 cups of broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- In a small bowl whisk the cornmeal into remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of broth.
- Whisk the cornmeal mixture into the saucepan and return to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Whisk in the butter
- Reduce the heat to low – simmer and whisk often
- Continue until polenta is thick and creamy.
- Use a damp spoon or ladle to transfer polenta to a square baking dish.
- Let cool until firm.
Toad In The Hole
- Cook veggie sausage in a non stick skillet with a drizzle of olive oil
- Remove from heat set aside
- Cut Cold Polenta into 3 inch squares, then cut 3 inch circles out of the center using a glass
- Add drizzle olive oil to the pan and set on medium heat, fry the squares and circles until golden on the bottom.
- Flip and crack an egg into each hole, cover and cook until the whites are set, serve with veggie sausage.
I Love take-out but not the price or the calories. Most of the time I can’t even find take-out with a meatless choice so I came up with my own by substituting a few items from a recipe I found at allrecipes.com My recipe can be made in as little as 30 minutes and you will even have leftovers for lunch!
What you will need
I like using a rice cooker because while the rice is cooking the I can concentrate on the beef strips.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 package of vegetarian beef strips (Trader Joe’s, Morningstar, etc)
- 2 or 3 carrots sliced.
In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, and cornstarch, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat.
Stir fry the garlic until golden, add the vegetarian Beef Strips and stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the carrots and stir fry for 2-3 more minutes.
Add the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens.
Serve immediately over the steamed cooked rice.
Refrigerate leftovers and eat within a few days.
As I was flipping through a magazine I came upon a recipe for Jimmy Dean’s Hearty Mini Quiché! Jimmy Dean’s Ad said: ” TASTE SO BIG we had to make them small.” I liked that idea so much that I came up with my version using veggie sausage! They turned out wonderful!
- 6 veggie patties. I like Morningstar brand
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk such as rice dream, soy milk, almond milk
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- Preheat oven to 350 cook veggie sausage, onions, and bell peppers in large skillet over medium heat until onions and peppers are tender
- Beat eggs, milk and black pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended, stir in sausage mixture and cheese.
- Line cupcake pans with baking liners. Spoon mixture evenly into baking cups or parchment paper.
- for 18 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean by inserting into the center. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Store Or Freeze
- Store in the fridge for two days
- Freeze in airtight freezer containers
I love making this bread because it is so moist and delicious plus it is a great snack to take along in my lunchbox for those days I want something sweet. Add additional fresh fruit to the slice of banana bread to give it that extra yumminess. I use applesauce to replace the egg, soy milk to replace buttermik and vegan margarine to replace butter. You can add nuts or chocolate chips to the bread. This recipe can also be used to make muffins.
- Preheat Oven to 350.
- Lightly grease loaf pan.
- Mix sugar and margarine in a large bowl.
- Stir in applesauce, add bananas, soy milk and vanilla.
- Mix until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the chopped nuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and cover loosely with foil.
- Go ahead, lick the bowl, because no raw eggs were used!
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, if a toothpick comes out clean it is done.
- Cool completely and then slice to serve.
- Top with bananas or berries.
- Refrigerate and eat in the next couple of days, or freeze for later.