All you have to do is chop off the top of your pineapple and place it in a pot of soil. Place your pineapple in a sunny location and give it plenty of water and watch it grow! If you are in a colder climate you can grow the pineapple indoors! Keep soil moist but not soggy, place in sunny location and mist occasionally.
This cake is named after my husband who likes to bake as much as I do! His cake is made with no eggs and no dairy! The eggs are replaced with applesauce and the dairy milk replaced with a non-diary beverage, such as rice, almond, hemp or soy. Instead of using a traditional cake pan, he likes to bake with a Cast Iron Skillet! The cake is moist and so delicious!
Kevin’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple in juice drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar in the raw
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (rice, almond, soy, hemp)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (1/4 cup applesauce = 1 egg)
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a 10-inch round cast iron pan, melt the margarine in the oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the melted margarine.
- Remove from the pan from the oven and place on top of the stove. Arrange pineapple slices over the brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, beat the remaining ingredients with an electric mixer on low-speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly.
- Beat on high-speed for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl.
- Pour the batter over pineapple and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately place a heat proof serving plate upside down over the pan.
- Turn the plate and pan over and leave the pan over cake for a few minutes so that the brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake.
- Remove the pan and serve warm. Put any leftovers in the fridge.
I’ve got my toe’s in the sand and a Pina Colada in my hand just dreaming of warm days and long sunsets! Why drink those commercial concoctions when you can easily make your own with or without the rum! Mine is without the rum but I add 1/2 a scoop of protein powder.
Susan T’s Kitchen
In a blender combine
1 cup of pineapple
1 cup frozen or fresh banana
1 cup of ice cubes
2 cups coconut beverage
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Blend until smooth add more ice if needed