This cake is named after my husband who likes to bake as much as I do! His cake is made with no eggs and no dairy! The eggs are replaced with applesauce and the dairy milk replaced with a non-diary beverage, such as rice, almond, hemp or soy. Instead of using a traditional cake pan, he likes to bake with a Cast Iron Skillet! The cake is moist and so delicious!
Kevin’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple in juice drained
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar in the raw
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup non dairy milk (rice, almond, soy, hemp)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (1/4 cup applesauce = 1 egg)
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a 10-inch round cast iron pan, melt the margarine in the oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the melted margarine.
- Remove from the pan from the oven and place on top of the stove. Arrange pineapple slices over the brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, beat the remaining ingredients with an electric mixer on low-speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl constantly.
- Beat on high-speed for 3 minutes, scraping the bowl.
- Pour the batter over pineapple and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately place a heat proof serving plate upside down over the pan.
- Turn the plate and pan over and leave the pan over cake for a few minutes so that the brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake.
- Remove the pan and serve warm. Put any leftovers in the fridge.